How can I get a business visa for China from abroad?

Leave a Comment (0)
1 Answer

Business travelers to China usually obtain an "F"-type visa. F visas are issued to travelers who are visiting China for business reasons, such as lectures, trade shows, short-term studies, internships, or general business, technological, or cultural exchanges.

You'll need to decide what version of the Visa you’re applying for: single entry (valid for 3-6 months), double entry (valid for 6 months), or multiple entry (valid for 6 months or 12 months). The multiple entry F visa is value for 24 months but requires additional documentation (such as documents proving that your investments in China or are collaborating with a Chinese company, etc.)

Complete the Paperwork

The place to start is by making sure you have a valid U.S. passport with at least six months remaining on it and one blank visa page.

The first step in applying for obtaining a visa for a visit to mainland China is to download the visa application from the Chinese Embassy website. Once you've downloaded it, you'll need to fill it out. Make sure to select the correct type of visa you're applying for. Most business travelers will want to apply for a business visa (choice F). Business Visas (an F Visa) are issued for travelers who will be staying in China less than six months and are visiting for investigation, lectures, business, short-term advanced studies, internships, or business, scientific-technological, and cultural exchanges.

You'll also need to attach one passport photo (2 by 2 inch, black and white is acceptable) to the application, and submit a copy of your hotel and flight (round trip) information as well. You will also need to include an invitation letter from an authorized Chinese business or a letter of introduction from your U.S.-based company.

Lastly, you'll want to include a self-addressed, prepaid envelope so the Chinese Consulate can return the materials to you.

Business travelers going back and forth between China and Hong Kong should be sure to select the "double entry" option on the application.


Application fees can be paid by credit card, money order, cashier's check, or company check.

Visa application fees start at $130 for United States citizens.

Express processing service (2-3 days) costs $20 extra. Same day processing service is $30 extra

Submitting the Paperwork

Visa applications must be submitted in person. Mailed applications are not accepted.

Once you have all your materials assembled (visa application, passport photo, a copy of hotel and flight information, invitation letter, and self-addressed, prepaid envelope), you should deliver them to the nearest Chinese Consulate.

If you can't make it to a Chinese Consulate in person, you can hire an authorized agent to do it for you. You can also ask a travel agent for assistance.

Once your materials are submitted, all you have to do is wait. Processing times vary, so it's best to leave plenty of time before your trip for obtaining the visa. Regular processing time is 4 days. Rush (2-3 days) and same day service is available for an extra fee.

Leave a Comment (0)
Related Questions